Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Flower Fairy, and Other Random Acts of Kindness!

I have been greatly blessed by the kindnesses of others during the course of my battle.  Shortly after my original diagnosis, when I began weekly chemo, I discovered a beautiful bouquet anonymously left on my doorstep the morning of my chemo treatment.  The mysterious flowers appeared each Friday just before I left my house for my appointment.  We nicknamed the unknown gifter the "Flower Fairy" and before long discovered that it was our dear friend and former neighbor, Lynn -- although she was extremely sneaky and hard to catch in the act! The flowers appeared every week for a full year, until I had finished my treatments.  What a sweet reminder they were that someone was  thinking of me and keeping me in prayer as I continued my battle -- I was not forgotten in the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Two years later when my cancer came back and I resumed chemo, the Flower Fairy was back in action again! What a lovely treat it was to find a new bouquet each time I opened the front door to head for chemo. She would often leave my favorite irises, or bright colorful mixes, or seasonal flowers like daffodils or tulips. Once she even left some unusual Irish blossom in honor of St. Patrick's day and my Irish heritage. And try as I might, I could never seem to catch her in the act so I could thank her. Whenever I would ask her about it, she would just smile slyly.

We originally thought that my chemo treatments the second time around would be weekly for a year, just like the first time. So we were surprised to learn that they would be weekly for the rest of my life. I notified the Flower Fairy that she was off the hook and we certainly couldn't expect the flowers to continue. She just smiled and the flowers still appear on my doorstep early every Friday morning, often with a sweet note, but always reminding me of her love and support and prayers.

We have a few other special friends who have really blessed us with their kindnesses. There is Judy, who has always made herself available to me to drive me to any doctor appointments as needed. She does this faithfully and without complaint, even when she is ill or in pain from her own ailments. She calls me almost daily to check on me and see if I need anything. What a faithful friend!

Barry is another dear friend who has been the big brother I never had.  He also prays for me faithfully and has done battle for me on occasion. I may never know the full story of the "cain" he raised at the hospital to get me the care I needed after nearly 12 hours in the ER. I'm so lucky to have him in my corner!

Our heartfelt thanks to all who have been God's hands & feet, angels in disguise, to help and support us. Some with a thoughtful card in our mailbox, or a meal for a difficult day. Others hold us in prayer, stop by for a cheery visit, or offer an ear when we need it. God bless you for putting feet to your friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment