Saturday, April 7, 2012

Searching for Joy

I remember hearing in the news some time ago that Goldie Hawn had announced she was embarking on a search for joy.  I googled it this morning and found that this was about 10 years ago!  My word, how time flies!  It was announced that she had a camera crew and was heading around the world to meet with scientists, poets, and all kinds of people on how to find joy.

At the time, I thought about writing to her on the subject.  True joy is only found in Christ, and as an unbeliever, I feared she was looking in all the wrong places.  So many people are searching for joy, happiness, fulfillment -- aching to fill that void in their lives with SOMETHING, ..... but what is it?  Here was a woman who had fame, wealth, love, family, seemingly everything the world has to offer and yet she lacked joy and didn't know where to find it.  I thought about this and many times composed in my head what I would write to her, but never did it.  10 years later I still think about her search and also think of others like her.

In my google search this morning, I couldn't find the documentary she had said she would make on her findings, so I don't know if that ever happened.  Did you find joy, Goldie?  I saw that in a few interviews she mentioned that she found joy in her family, in helping others, and in giving.  Admirable things, but still probably missing the true source.

My google search took me to a lot of Oprah interviews and articles from her experts on 5 or 10 things to do or buy or whatever that will guarantee your happiness and joy.  Everything is so focused on ME, what I want, what makes ME happy, ME, ME, ME.  What a self-centered society we have become!

Years ago I found a statement in a women's Bible study group that perfectly defined joy, how to find it, and finding fulfillment in life.  I jotted it down and tucked it away in my Bible.  Unfortunately, I don't now recall the author, or I would give her credit here --
"There is no greater joy in life than knowing you are fulfilling the very reason for your existence. When your life brings glory to God and you walk in a close love relationship with Him, nothing on earth can steal your joy! Remain in Him and He will remain in you. Then your joy will be complete."
 Yesterday I received some very tough news. After fiercely battling this cancer for 4 1/2 years now, it is still aggressively invading my lung and elsewhere, so new treatments will begin next week.  You would not expect that the topic of "joy" would be on my mind at a time like this, and yet it is.

The God of the universe, Creator of all, desires a relationship with me and loves and cares for me SO MUCH that He sent His son Jesus to suffer the punishment for MY sins, so that I could be forgiven and enjoy relationship with Him, now and for eternity!  Knowing that, why would you ever need to search for joy anywhere else?  Walk with Him daily and seek to do His will, and you will know true joy -- YOUR happiness will be a byproduct!

Tomorrow I will celebrate with great joy that my Savior died for me and He lives again!  I look forward to the day when my joy will be truly complete:
His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’  Matthew 25:21

3 comments:

  1. Happiness is circumstantial, but joy comes from an understanding of God's love and presence-in all things. Joy in scripture is used like the exhilaration of competing in an athletic contest with both the agony of the endeavor and the inner exhilaration of the challenge at the same time. As Jesus went to the cross, he felt the exhilaration of the triumph over sin even as His heart was breaking for the world that was crucifying him.(From Dave Morsey 1981)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been encouraged by your blogs and reminded of God's presence and faithfulness! Thank you and keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever." Psalm 16:11

    ReplyDelete